20 days to go; Am I making the world a better place, or is the world making me a better person?
A while ago a friend of mine wrote to me "it´s good that someone´s out there to make the world a better place¨. Later that day I started thinking, and I realised that, yes I might be here doing something good, something meaningful and yes, something important. But, I know that what I´ve seen, experienced and learned from the people here, no doubt has changed me and made me a better person, more so than whatever changes for the better my presence here has made. And now, the end of my stay here (for now) getting dreadfully close, I know I´ll be going home with new knowledge, contiuing my priveliged life in Norway, and everyone I know and care about here will continue with their struggles, in a country that needs years of change to give its people the security and service they need, deserve and are intitled to. This may sound pessimistic, but after living here, it feels unjust that I can just get on a plane and go home to my safe world.
Why can I study whatever I want when the mayority of young people in the world can´t?
Why can I travel wherever and whenever I want when the mayority in the world can´t even leave their homeplace, even less their country?
Why can I buy (almost) whatever I want when the mayority barely have money to put food on the table?
Why can I feel safe that if I get sick or injured, the system will take care of me when people are afraid to even find out if they have an illness because they can´t afford the treatment?
Living here these almost 7 months has given me a deeper understanding of what poverty is and it´s consequences, and how unjust it is that not averyone has the same posibilities . And it has made me even more sure that we have to keep on fighting it, keep on trying to make the world a better place, for everone.
Why can I study whatever I want when the mayority of young people in the world can´t?
Why can I travel wherever and whenever I want when the mayority in the world can´t even leave their homeplace, even less their country?
Why can I buy (almost) whatever I want when the mayority barely have money to put food on the table?
Why can I feel safe that if I get sick or injured, the system will take care of me when people are afraid to even find out if they have an illness because they can´t afford the treatment?
Living here these almost 7 months has given me a deeper understanding of what poverty is and it´s consequences, and how unjust it is that not averyone has the same posibilities . And it has made me even more sure that we have to keep on fighting it, keep on trying to make the world a better place, for everone.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home